microsoft surface data eraser no disk drive found

First, boot into the Surface UEFI and check if the UEFI displays a boot drive error icon . Select the USB drive of your choice from the USB Thumb Drive Selection page as shown in Figure 4, and then select Start to begin the USB creation process. More info about Internet Explorer and Microsoft Edge, Protecting your data if you send your Surface in for service, NIST Special Publication 800-88 Revision 1, Surface Pro Model 1796 and Surface Laptop 1TB display two drives, Windows 10 Pro and Enterprise on Surface Hub 2. If you can turn on your Surface, Microsoft recommends that you back up the data valuable to you before sending your Surface device to a Microsoft Service Center. Press and hold the Volume Down button. If you have suggestions related to this documentation, please let us know here and we will submit them for review. boot the Windows into normal mode and use Internal storage is listed along with the others, Windows Boot Manager, PXE Network, and USB Storage. The Surface Data Eraser tool rejoins the two drives into a single storage-spaces drive. Boot your Surface device from the Microsoft Surface Data Eraser USB stick. Does Microsoft have an option to physically destroy the hard drive/storage media to ensure it cant be reused? Microsoft Surface Data Eraser uses the NVM Express (NVMe) format command to erase data as authorized in NIST Special Publication 800-88 Revision 1. And you can use Seagate tools which works with all makes of drive and provides a USB stick to check drives,https://www.seagate.com/gb/en/support/downloads/seatools/ Opens a new window. Architecture re-design to reduce the need to update with new product releases, Notification available for new tool updates, Surface Pro 7, Surface Pro X, and Surface Laptop 3, Extra storage devices (drives) for Surface Pro and Surface Laptop devices. A Microsoft Surface Data Eraser USB stick requires only the ability to boot from USB. first format the Pendrive with FAT32 format using diskpart command. Step 3: Turn on the Surface device and boot from the bootable USB connected to it. Due to this configuration, you have to target Disk2 or Disk3 instead of Disk0, depending on the device and whether an SD card is present. NOTE: The download page lists other tools for the Surface device as well. a have a problem of formattin using eraser tool. format fs=fat32 Odeslat a . Most likely the SSD is fine. A Microsoft Surface Data Eraser USB stick requires only the ability to boot from USB. Tool doesn't format USB drive. b. Diskpart doesn't lend much help unless there's a command I'm missing - list disk shows nothing. The Microsoft Surface Data Eraser USB drive creation tool is unable to run on Windows 10 S. To wipe a Surface Laptop running Windows 10 S, you must first create the Microsoft Surface Data Eraser USB drive on another computer with Windows 10/11 Pro or Windows 10/11 Enterprise. I was able to run Surface Data Eraser per MS support, but it failed to locate the drive as well. Last Updated on September 28, 2020 by admin 1 Comment. Press and hold the Volume Down button. Any section you choose will open to show you more info. I've tried 3 different USB thumb drives with the same outcome. Please guide me, Scan this QR code to download the app now. I'll copy the contents manually over to it and see if I can get it to boot on the Surface to wipe it. Repurpose a Surface device for a new user. To continue, press Y (this action runs Microsoft Surface Data Eraser and removes all data from the storage device) or press N (this action shuts down the device without removing data). Figure 5. 2. Choose the account you want to sign in with. method 1 create partition primary When the Congratulations screen is displayed, you can eject and remove the thumb drive. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast. Press and release the power button. The Microsoft Surface Data Eraser script detects the storage devices that are present in your Surface device and displays the details of the native storage device. On our PC, it took less than 2 minutes. Also, this site is intended to help improve the quality of the technical documentation of Microsoft Docs through user contributions and feedback. onedrive link Just now download that tool and then i installed on NON-Microsoft surface device successfully. The Microsoft or Surface logo appears on your screen. @RAJU2529 & @illfated -- Thanks for replying. For more info, see Prepare your Surface Duo for service. Just strange that all 3 computers do the same thing. Turn off your Surface device. Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support. [!TIP] https://1drv.ms/u/s!AmZoRRusRV59pWIFnpHuyM7klxFe?e=dWxkwa. I just want to add that you also have the option to contact Windows 10 support in the future for immediate assistance. The drive you select will be formatted and any existing data on this drive will be lost. Figure 5. I formatted the USB stick with Diskpart. tomorrow morning I will upload to Google drive. chkdsk C: /f /r /b /x /v diskpart Here are the instructions clean USB thumb drive selection. Surface Devices Learn more about the data wiping capabilities and practices Microsoft uses during the service process for Surface. MakeWinPEMedia /ISO C:\WinRE_amd64 C:\WinRE_amd64\dataeraser_x64.iso, wait few seconds to complete, now iso file created in C:\WinRE_amd64\, @RAJU2529 Begin the Microsoft Surface Data Eraser tool"::: Will I be notified when my Surface has been through the wiping process? https://1drv.ms/u/s!AmZoRRusRV59pWIFnpHuyM7klxFe?e=dWxkwa, @DanRev0519 . Thanks in advance. Data like Exchange Online Mailbox content and SharePoint Online Site content is stored in a Microsoft Data Center and is not affected by the Surface service process. We have gone through our first lifecycle of Surfaces in our environment and removing he drives before disposal is not that simple of a proposition. I would recommend testing if there is a problem extracting any other files, like ZIP files, RAR files and others, on the computer where this tool fails. This version of Surface Data Eraser adds support for the following devices: This version of Microsoft Surface Data Eraser adds support for Surface Go. One of the more interesting events of April 28th Figure 4. When you boot from the usb the windows 10 64 bit installation will start and ask you whether you need pro or home to which you should respond PRO. d. Release the Volume Down button. @jaxne. @jans-at .You already created bootable pendrive. Before you begin these steps, ensure that you have a USB 3.0 stick that is 4 GB or larger connected to the computer. I have had this message pop up for one of my old clients I still do support for and I am still the Admin for on their 365 system. Microsoft Surface Data Eraser uses the NVM Express (NVMe) format command to erase data as authorized in NIST Special Publication 800-88 Revision 1. If you pressed Y in step 6, due to the destructive nature of the data erasure process, another dialog box is displayed to confirm your choice. This issue occurs because some Surface devices that have1TB drive configuration use Storage Spaces technology to combine two 512-GB drives into a single drive. If I need to send my Surface in for service, what should I do to ensure the privacy of my data before sending in my Surface device? This thumb drive is now ready to be inserted into a Surface device, booted from, and wipe any data on the device. I'm just sending in this MS Surface Go that has caused this time suck in the first place. Turn off your Surface device. Select Yes to continue erasing data on the Surface device. Learn more about the data wiping capabilities and practices Microsoft uses during the service process for Surface. This thumb drive is now ready to be inserted into a Surface device, booted from, and wipe any data on the device. The BMR image can be downloaded and installed, or a custom image can be deployed. When the Congratulations screen is displayed, you can eject and remove the thumb drive. Confirm USB drive of at least 4 GB is connected"::: Right now it doesn't even boot up due to some boot record issue. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-90wbQ0uqBUq_RhsKjS3OwqoQsN6Gb0-/view?usp=sharing. I was able to get that .iso file to work. I also tried two different USB drives, both are 16GB drives. See Surface Pro Model 1796 and Surface Laptop 1TB display two drives for more information. @Syson032 and @masterddon, I created a new version 3.48.139.0 iso file suitable for x64 (for 2021+ devices only) and I uploaded it to Onedrive storage and Google Drive storage. Figure 5. I will try this as soon as I am home. Both USB thumb drives are new. I want to monitor motherboard temperature. Press and hold the volume-up button on your Surface, and, at the same time, press and release the power button. I can use your ISO file for now but it would be a huge help if you could explain how to make a bootable iso from the original files or an already created bootable pendrive so I can do it on my own when/if an update is released. Can I send the faulty SSD by itself for a replacement or upgrade? Hello! Architecture re-design to reduce the need to update with new product releases, Notification available for new tool updates, Surface Pro 7, Surface Pro X, and Surface Laptop 3, Extra storage devices (drives) for Surface Pro and Surface Laptop devices. In this video I look at using the Microsoft Surface Data Eraser to make a UEFI Bootable USB that can be used to Securely Wipe a Microsoft Surface. Select Complete to finish the USB creation process, as shown in Figure 5. Begin the Microsoft Surface Data Eraser tool. Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth, use check disk by ]LOG]!>. For information about the changes provided in each new version, see the following notes: This version of Surface Data Eraser includes bug fixes. This version lists it as v3.7.137.0 -- The change log on the info page https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/surface/microsoft-surface-data-eraser only goes to 3.2.78.0 what happened in between those versions? download below file and then extract the file b. Accept or decline the software license terms by typing Accept or Decline. first, create a new folder in C:\ partition As to the partitions, you need to delete all of them during the install and the installation will recreate them. This really helps out :). Choose the account you want to sign in with. You can't even buy a 4GB USB drive anymore, the minimum now is 16GB from a Best Buy retail store. [!CAUTION] Release the button once the UEFI screen appears. I can pick up one that says it's 3.0 for sure and try that too. downloading link for few 64bit surface devices The Microsoft Surface Data Eraser script detects the storage devices that are present in your Surface device and displays the details of the native storage device. Then your Surface is sent back to the service center technician to have the data removed. b. Before you begin these steps, ensure that you have a USB 3.0 stick that is 4 GB or larger connected to the computer. boot the Windows into safe mode and then try to bootable usb media. Support for Surface Pro 9, Surface Laptop 5, and Surface Studio 2+. If it's going to be too much work, I'm probably just going to shred the whole unit, but I think we could get a few bucks out of them if we sell them, and I'd rather not landfill the whole thing. Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup To work around this issue, changethe deployment tool to target DISK2. d. Release the Volume Down button. This issue occurs because some Surface Devices with 1TB drive configuration use Storage Spaces technology to combine two 512-GB drives into a single drive. A bare metal recovery (BMR) image states "There was a problem recovering your PC" or reports other errors when you try torestore the BMR image. ]LOG]!> Figure 1. The Microsoft Surface Data Eraser is compatible with the following device only. When you deploy Windows on a some Surface devices that have 1TB drive configuration, you may encounter errors or other issues that concern locatingthe DISK0. By rejecting non-essential cookies, Reddit may still use certain cookies to ensure the proper functionality of our platform. Select any of the following sections or select Show all. Booting the Microsoft Surface Data Eraser USB stick. Select the USB drive of your choice from the USB Thumb Drive Selection page as shown in Figure 4, and then select Start to begin the USB creation process. The recovery image requires a working surface to create the image, and it also fails to install the OS when tested. Boot your Surface device from the Microsoft Surface Data Eraser USB stick. UEFI BIOS is pretty basic. When you run Surface Data Eraser on the Surface Data Eraser USB drive, a log file is generated in the SurfaceDataEraserLogs folder. Insert the bootable Microsoft Surface Data Eraser USB stick into the supported Surface device. Create a Surface Data Eraser drive, and then start the device from that drive. Select Continue to acknowledge that you have a USB drive of at least 4 GB connected, as shown in Figure 2. I don't think anything crucially private or important is on it. Storage spaces drives are virtual, so they are listed after physical drives. and our The Microsoft Surface Data Eraser script detects the storage devices that are present in your Surface device and displays the details of the native storage device. i uploaded iso in RAR format file to one drive storage, first download from below sharing link and unrar using WINRAR or 7-ZIP software and create USB bootable pen drive using Rufus software. Just fails after 5% bar, devices/surface/microsoft-surface-data-eraser.md, https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/surface/microsoft-surface-data-eraser, https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-90wbQ0uqBUq_RhsKjS3OwqoQsN6Gb0-/view?usp=sharing, https://1drv.ms/u/s!AmZoRRusRV59pWA6JRKo8QkUwQE3?e=bT1yuD, https://1drv.ms/u/s!AmZoRRusRV59pWIFnpHuyM7klxFe?e=dWxkwa, https://1drv.ms/u/s!AmZoRRusRV59tiVtKmuA3opMI-aV?e=Pjry1Z, https://drive.google.com/file/d/1svQJHtMfh-krQt9DNvyUg07m_MRhxBbj/view?usp=sharing, https://1drv.ms/u/s!AmZoRRusRV59tiYmA7NIevbMlxZC?e=fksi89, https://github.com/notifications/unsubscribe-auth/A7HLH7T73IZFJES45XR455DXCU5F7ANCNFSM4HZO5FEQ, Version Independent ID: 725c2d4a-5397-6c67-7605-93a8cd40cf08. However, this does not prevent your data from being recovered with forensic or data recovery capabilities. @jans-at Today just now i successfully created a bootable iso file for 64bit. [!IMPORTANT] Cannot retrieve contributors at this time. Here is how to that. downloading link for few 64bit surface devices https://1drv.ms/u/s!AmZoRRusRV59pWA6JRKo8QkUwQE3?e=bT1yuD, Please could you send a new link for downloading the iso file cos i also tried to create the usb bootable file but it keeps failing at 5% , i need the one for 64bit , thanks, 64bit surface devices https://1drv.ms/u/s!AmZoRRusRV59pWA6JRKo8QkUwQE3?e=bT1yuD, pliz @RAJU2529 am requesting for the new download link coz this one is expired Select Success. I run the tool and it was detected that Pendrive Successfully , and i followed onscreen instructions. To boot a Surface device that has been wiped with Microsoft Surface Data Eraser, you will first need to reinstall the Windows operating system. Sign in If you have problems booting from the usb post back to this thread for help. Back in the day I used DBAN, bit haven't had to do this in ages. However, this does not prevent your data from being recovered with forensic or data recovery capabilities. Report abuse Report abuse . Note The image and deployment tools that are used must be based on the Windows 10, version 1703 (Spring Creators) update or a later Windows 10 update. This topic has been locked by an administrator and is no longer open for commenting. After you create a Microsoft Surface Data Eraser USB stick, you can boot a supported Surface device from the USB stick by following this procedure: Surface Data Eraser on Surface Studio and Surface Studio 2 can take up to 6 minutes to boot into WinPE before disk erasure can occur. See Surface Pro Model 1796 and Surface Laptop 1TB display two drives for more information. Do these have to be USB 3.0 thumb drives? Thank you in advance. Insert the bootable Microsoft Surface Data Eraser USB stick into the supported Surface device. Any section you choose will open to show you more info. If after doing enough test to prove that the SSD has failed then it is fixable by replacing it if you are so inclined. After the creation process is finished, the USB drive has been formatted and all binaries are copied to the USB drive. insert USB 4gb pendrive into usb port. I can get it to boot into a USB clean install of windows 10, but its not recognizing any drives. Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community. Normally when we dispose of old computers, we pull the hard drive out and have them shredded and the chassis either gets sold or recycled.

Modal Popup Only Once Per Session, Tamko Heritage Shingles, Articles M

microsoft surface data eraser no disk drive foundBe the first to comment on "microsoft surface data eraser no disk drive found"

microsoft surface data eraser no disk drive found

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. blaga petreska biografija.