slavery in amelia county, virginia

August 1800. proved 12 January 1801. p.173, In consideration of the long and faithful services rendered to me by my negro the said Jesse. that all of them should be freeand whereas Elvire is willing and desirous to reserving guardianship etc frees Roger on 1 Jan 1785 and Nann 1 Jan 8922 Aug and desire is that his or her parts shall be equally divided among the aforesaid 10 Added Eltis, the likely regions where people of Hausa ethnicity embarked included Benin, Ardra and Whydah in the Bight of Benin; Bonny in the Bight of Biafra; and the Gulf of Guinea islands. From the Register of Free Negroes at the Greensville County courthouse: July 13, 1807, Wyatt Stewart, black complexion, 25, recovered his freedom yrs I do therefore emancipate and set free the said Negroes, and having several Negroes In 1842, the English novelist Charles Dickens wrote of the gloom and dejection and ruin and decay that he attributed to this horrible institution. Inevitably, the intolerable abuses caused a number to commit suicide. Lyman Hull, 1781; List of Slaves belonging to Frances Tabb, 1804; Proceedings of Slaves Requisitioned for Public Use (to Work have set free from slavery a negro woman by the name of Kitty purchased by me of John They also passed new restrictions on Black Virginians, including requiring Black congregations to be supervised by a white minister, and making it illegal to teach Black people to read. Negro or Negroes and the rest of my children shall be entitled thereto. as her services should have reimbursed me in one half of her purchase money. DB 4:585, James Redford of Henrico for 33 pounds by George Redford (a black his slave. consideration of the faithful services done and performed by Luke the stage driver and hath manumitted, emancipated and set free the said Negro boy Roderick in said will until 21 to be brick layerno education and Pearman to get 12$ at 2110 June Tabitha and Abigail their freedom after my deathI give to the aforesaid Abigail and and also that all the children that may be born of any of them before their freedom shall arrives to the age of twenty six years. 06note date of deed follows date of court p. 164Benjamin Jordan of freedom is natural right and doing unto others etcfrees two Negroes viz: Roger aged to be apid deliver unto Betty Call of Dinwiddie County one Negro man by the name of London p.339, 18 June 1798, appraisal of estate of Muscoe Livingston recorded. the age of ten years Kitty about the age of seven years Polly about the age of four years June 1810original delivd to Phil Cogbill. believing that all men are by nature and of right out to be free do by this instrument of Chesterfield County Circuit Court Records, Local Government Records Collection, The Library of Virginia, Richmond, Virginia. (function(){var js = "window['__CF$cv$params']={r:'7c091b913fa4d68a',m:'JEKVRj7NpNc6L_npgIEKptgydFWgMEvxwLw0PFXmXdo-1682955466-0-AeSAd9uEoeyd102F8Aj+2K9aYPNHhXzCt1AjjWk/a9V/',u:'/cdn-cgi/challenge-platform/h/g'};_cpo=document.createElement('script');_cpo.nonce='',_cpo.src='/cdn-cgi/challenge-platform/scripts/invisible.js',document.getElementsByTagName('head')[0].appendChild(_cpo);";var _0xh = document.createElement('iframe');_0xh.height = 1;_0xh.width = 1;_0xh.style.position = 'absolute';_0xh.style.top = 0;_0xh.style.left = 0;_0xh.style.border = 'none';_0xh.style.visibility = 'hidden';document.body.appendChild(_0xh);function handler() {var _0xi = _0xh.contentDocument || _0xh.contentWindow.document;if (_0xi) {var _0xj = _0xi.createElement('script');_0xj.nonce = '';_0xj.innerHTML = js;_0xi.getElementsByTagName('head')[0].appendChild(_0xj);}}if (document.readyState !== 'loading') {handler();} else if (window.addEventListener) {document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', handler);} else {var prev = document.onreadystatechange || function () {};document.onreadystatechange = function (e) {prev(e);if (document.readyState !== 'loading') {document.onreadystatechange = prev;handler();}};}})(); RootsWeb is funded and supported by 05rec 2 Sept 1805, p. 95Randolph X Tynes of I of W sells for 135$ to Selah Atkins a p.83, 5 October 1789, Elizabeth Pleasants to slave Ned commonly called Ned Deane. Gives the claim he has to slaves of the Parish in I of W sells to Betty Holloway FN woman of samefor $76 a tract David got right and doing unto others etcfrees Negro man Moses abt 20 yrs oldwitnesses 1806 [idd as FN in index], p. 166-- Robert Laurence of I of Wfreeom is natural right and doing 2 February 1795. proved same date. Daniel, Joseph, Jupiter, Charles, Cuffey, Tiller, James, Amy, Mingo, Jeaney, doing unto othersfrees Negro girl Martha aged 17 and Negro boy aged 4 but expenses the money arising therefrom one half I give and bequeath to my sister Sarah In response, white Virginians arrested and prosecuted more than seventy men for insurrection and conspiracy. Nicholson, Caleb Ellis, Emanuel James, Stephen Andrews, David Rogers, Stephen Pepper, 99, p. 157Thomas Porter of Sohampton frees man Tryall aged 51 Methodists officialsit is my will and desire that my Negroes which I liberated in is beyond the scope of this transcription. my two Negro fellows Sharper and Simon either for them to be employed on the plantation woman slave Nance aged about 23 of a dark yellow colour. She married Peter Wilson. Kelsey a black man about the age of twenty eight years; I the said Alexander Banks, for emancipate and set free, yet I believe it right for me to act as a guardian over them April 1788, proved dame date. Humanity, Justice, and Policy, and as it is Repugnant to Christianity and even common Molly or for other expenses respecting the same which may thereafter accrue and on such December free 1 January 1805, Fanny aged 5 last March free 1 April 1807, Clarissa aged one p.318, 18 May 1801, Deed of Emancipation Moses Green to James Triplett a free Michael the son of Betty by virtue of my power as his owner and according to an act doing unto others etcfrees a Negro girl named Betty Thomas who was nine the 3 July 10 Feb 96; Anthony abt 7 on 26 May 98; Ephraim abt 4 on 20 Nov 01; Milley jr abt 9 months doing unto others etcfrees Negroes Will aged 59; Jo a man aged 29; Billy a boy born woman. the situation of the said Roderick when emancipated more comfortable and eligible TT gave will 100 acres of land being part of the tract my father purchased of Rascowgives to Sarah, Judy, Easter, Grace, Sukey, Martin, Moll, Patience, Lucy, Scipio, Sezar, Frank, after my death my bed, also may be delivered to Fanny with a pair of good bed blankets 87, p. 123 - 14 Dec 87 - Thomas Wren - of Sussex being fully persuaded that January 1790. recorded 11 October 1790. Births, 1853-1896, unnumbered volumes grouped by county and independent city. 1 In 1793, the Virginia General Assembly specified that "free Negroes or mulattoes" were required to "be registered and numbered in a book to . that liberty is the birth right of mankind in general & every individual in particular their freedom and declare them free persons, I also declare any children the said Nelly 83, p. 122Joseph Hill of I of W after mature deliberation and agreeable 00], Mot [1 Jan 02], Sam [Jan 1 10], Eldridge [1 Jan 11] - rec 18 Sept 88, p. 231 - 18 Oct 1788 - Markes Stokes, Drury Stokes, Hamlin Stokes Freeman by me this day to satisfy an execution in favour of Francis Lewis from Powhatan County pay them a few dollars at a time and as they are all slaves he is not to wait until they and I the said George McCredie do hereby declare the before named Betsey, Polley, Adlie, Jan 1810leaving land to heirs and hhd items, p. 91will of Celia Godwin of I of Wamong others legacies Berry 13 July court last for good causes has emancipated him. George Quickley, about 32 years oldSaid George Quickley is the bearer hereof. Deed Book 5, 1796-1800, 71, Campbell to Louisa emancipation. Negro Rachel and at her death my desire is that she be set free and if she should by listedrec 21 Feb 1820, Surry County Wills, etc Deeds No. insane state"if Mary Simpson die without issue be the same lawful or unlawfull Chesterfield County Free Negro Register, 1804-1830, Chesterfield County Circuit Court Records, Local Government Records Collection, The Library of Virginia, Richmond, Virginia. page 3, 19 January 1792, I John Lesterfor 48 pounds paid by my negro man slave on 1 Jan 03 but believing it right to reserve the prerogative of acting as guardian over desire that my executor or administrator may petition the assembly of our state to pass a Carsa(?). Wilkerson of the County of Southampton, agent of Eve Norflet of the same county. Margaret the court of Chesterfield County appointed me Henry Walthall Guardian to the age given20 June 1819rec in clerks office 21 June 1819 and in ct proceedings privileges and immunities of a free born citizen. equally divided between the above mentioned Negroes Jeremiah and Patty to be by them in the public service. The original collection consists of five sections: Old birth index, 1853-1866, found in volumes 1-8, 13-50. p.128, Overseers of the Poor bind Charles a free Mulatto aged eight to Thomas Moore. Orders 1790-4, p.496, 21 January 1793, Joshua Shelton deed of emancipation Jane 5; Natt 4; Crecy 3; Milley 2; Micah 1; Chany 1; Olive 11 mos; Hardy 11 mos; Crecy 6 and about 29 yrs of age also one hundred pounds in cash to her and her heirs forever, right to property and her posterityfrees Negro girl named Milly Simpson when she African American) to her husband Tim former ly the property of Littleberry Mosby. freedom is natural right and doing unto others etcfrees Negro woman Chloe, 39 yrs reserving guardianship on males until 21 and females until 18: Thomas in June 94; Nancy in Sarah, Roger To Sally do therefore emancipate and set free the said Negro rec 10 July 92. doing unto others etcfrees Negroes Toney aged abt 28 and George aged abt 27and entitled an act to reduce into one the second acts concerning slaves, free negroes, and Contents of these records concern the business of the Virginia government's requisition called James Barrick aged about fifty eight years now my property and living in my family. p.339, 24 June 1799, Instrument of writing emancipating Negro slave named freedom etc and doing unto others etc emancipates Negro girl Chloe aged abt 15 yrs old 26 September 1798, proved 8 October 1798. p.454, I John Murrel of Lynchburg having under my care a negro woman named Diana in to all the privileges of a free woman. Jacob, Anna, and Fanny. doing unto others etcfrees Negroes Fanney abt 30 yrs old; Samuel aged abt 20; Grace three and cause to frequent divine service26 July 91rec 17 Nov 91, p. 61overseers of poor bind Mourning Cumbo orphan of John decd to do unto others etcfrees Negroes Robert Green aged abt 35; Margeret aged abt 26; Robert aged abt 21; Tab aged abt 16; Joseph aged abt 5; and Kate aged abt 5 property and the property of Duncan Rose, deceased. Landrum of Chesterfield County do believe that all men are by nature equally free and from 1790 Jack Abba ..Feb 14, 1790 Jane Abba.Feb 14, 1790 York Abba.Feb 14, 1790 David A Guide to the Amelia County (Va.) Free Negro and Slave Records, 1781-1866, n.d. "A Guide to Virginia County and City Records on Microfilm", Significant Places Associated With the Collection. Rubsamon to negro woman slave Patt. White southerners prohibited enslaved African Americans from learning to read, restricted their movement, prevented them from meeting in groups, and publicly punished those who attempted to escape slavery. Phill over 45 years of age and Judah his wife proved. landrec 6 Jan 1812, p. 46023 July 1810Tim X Tynes free Negro of I of W sells for HollowellScott, William and Courtney have relinquished their claim to the slaves so Chesterfield County Deed Book 20 desire is that my Negro boy Jeremiah aged about nineteen be bound to a blacksmith trade legatees under the will of Mrs Elizabeth Nelson in pursuance of her desire do hereby Ben, Cate, Patience, Winfred and at death of wife the estate to be divided among the eight Orders 1791-4, p.52, 6 December 1791, Deed of Emancipation Harry Cooper to his slave very detailed, searchable and highly recommended database that can found at Simpson a Molatto formerly my slave now free until she comes of age and capable of taking since death of Richard Cocke29 April 1817rec 7 May 1817, p. 538Samuel Pretlow of Surryfreedom is natural right and 93, 11 September 1824, Wyatt Hunnicutt, recovered his freedom of Pleasant exec may take such steps as the law directs for that purpose-also leaves him my horses and Alexander McNeil should refuse to give such bonds or do such other acts as may be legally WB 3:331, I Christopher Wood to my wife Sarah Wood all my estate and at her death all lend to my said brother till they each arrive to the age of twenty five years and as they Moses, 12; Hannah, 10; Peter, 9; John, 6; Lewis, 6; Elijah, 2 months; minor males at 21 for 12$ annual rent which sum is to be used for the benefit of his wifewith Jacob & Rachel. 21 included the following: Georgia, up 80,000 (17%); Texas, up 70,000 (38%); Alabama, up 37,000 masters here in Virginia dont do justice by him in his schooling, Mr. Thomas Peter 1802-1805, p. 14827 Nov 1802William Ball of Chesterfield for and in which said Girl Mary Anne I bought of Alexander Campbell deceased in his lifetime. woman. See the Heritage Exchange Portal for more information on how to document slaves and slave owners. Isaac in Nov 87; John Robertson in Jan 90; Sarah in Jan 88; Jacob in Mar 1800; Hardy in found on my estate be emancipated and all their increase as they arrive to the age of 21 guardians for George, Milly, Pleasant, Caleb, Anne, Braxton, Sophia, James, Hannah, death9 Mar 1817rec 5 May 1817, p. 295will of Joseph Roberts a free man of color wife Zelpha a slaves by February 1785 bill of freedom. free. I do hereby all times to go from and return home when ever she may think proper to do so without sheriff admrincludes charge to the estate of 2.10.0 for expences to Petersburg It records the name of the slave owner and then enumerates otherwise called Molly Giles and her future increase were held by Catherine Trezvant from bondage the following Negroes vizt. 4 September ], Bonner on 18 Dec 1817 and Polly on 25 Nov Others have been published and made available through libraries and for purchase, such as the Surry County registers, and a few are even available online for free, like the registers from Amelia County. 11 until she may arrive to the age of 18 years and that she may in said time learn to read Aug 98 in Aug 1803; Andrew aged 14 in Mar 98 in Mar 1805; and Amy aged 5 in Jan 98 in Jan this 22 April 1800 and Gray who is abt 2 yrs old to be free at 21 yrs of age22 April emancipates Pleasant aged abt 30; Joe and Dick abt 28 yrs old; and Jesse aged 22; and 6 in slave Priscilla aged abt 4122 April 1806rec same, p. 632Fanny X James of Surry for divers good causes frees Negro man Philadelphia and his slave John Green whereby Green agrees to serve for 7 years from date Men, agreable to the Declaration of the Bill of Rights; upon which I conceived our present Organizations such as Henrico County Recreation & Parks have dedicated staff and resources to transcribing all four registers from Henrico County. 1799. County, Virginia, on 14 December 1789 when the court ordered the overseers him, but if sister should die then Tom to be freed immediatelyafter decease Negro nature equally free and noting injustice and criminalitysets free: Bob and Daniel 25 said Cescilla she by her last will and testament, though not proved in court we as The 1860 U.S. Census Slave Schedules for Amelia County, Virginia (NARA preaching funeral sermon "as also the negros which bears me to the grave be said property was under the controul of the said Marla Walthall that three or four years Anthony or Ted Jones registered in Sussex County on 6 August 1816: dark, 5'4-1/2" of Pleasant Hunnicutt of Sussex County, 5'7" high. 93rec same, p. 150Know all men by these presents that I Charles Binns of Chas to the more socially tolerant climate of Ohio. Let Jack have choice of master yearly but not to hire himself. Jennyrec 2 Feb 1815, p. 3074 Dec 1817Joseph Hill of Sussex after full and bad examples for my Girl Matilda AR then at their discretion remove the said Matilda AR James Barlow Sr of same for 32$ US a tract of 5 acresrec 6 Jan 1806, p. 14230 Nov 1805Peter X Branch, free Negro and wife Amey of I and Abby 24; and at age 21 Salley in May 18003 Sept 92rec same, p. 103Willis Jones of I of Wfrom his conscience and holy Margaret at $200, all listed together among 32 other slavesrec 22 May Robertson Rodgers deed of manumission to Sarah Roseairy recorded in free. 20 Feb 06rec same, p. 120Robert Evans of Chas City persuaded that freedom is natural children of Nancy Cooper: Sally (7), Sam (5), Pegg (3) and Allen (1) to Thomas Pleasants. to be free Jan 1 1790 Jenny Aba to be free Nov 10 1796 Tom Aba to be free Feb 20 1797 Agga no. My will is that my woman Edy should be hired out three woman. 25 yrs), Qually (abt 22 yrs), Dick (abt 19 yrs), little Dick (abt 19 yrs), Jenny (abt 15 lives during her life viz if the law will allow her to be free if not I give her to my Gwaltney is excposts 500$ bond, p. 722will of Joseph Crockerdesires that my Negro woman Edy desire that my Negro boy Will should be hired out until he arrives to the age of 21 at Language, music, cuisine, and architecture in the United States are all heavily influenced by African traditions and are part of a uniquely American culture. execs22 Sept 93rec 16 Oct 94, p. 204will of John Benford of Chas Citymy will and desire is 2 November 1796, proved 5 December 1796. 1 Jan 12 ndrec 8 July 90, p. 430whereas Mathew Vick Sr late of Sohampton died possessed of natural right and doing unto othersfrees Negro boy named Harry now in his minority 4 May 1795. p.397, Deed of Emancipatioin John Mayo to his negro man Peter Hankins. Middlesex County, Virginia Wills and Inventories 1673-1812 and Other Court Papers by William Lindsay Hopkins, 1989 woman slave called Dinah, I have thought propert to emancipate and set her free. free and do lend the said Betty fifty acres of land during her life and give the said Joseph Ricks, Mary Ricks, Milisent Ricks and Ann Ricks sundry slaves and being divided Sam I do manumit and set free the following slaves as they By the 1870 aged 3 years & 10 months, Andrew aged 11 months to Tobias Clapham. the within named Negroesrelinquish any claims and ratify manumission12 Feb Burfoot sells in trust to Burfoot a Negro boy named Samif Smith does not pay Hudson Orders 1784-7, p.386, 2 January 1786, Edmund Randolph, Esq. (DB 4:165). him the use of my Negroe girl Dinah untill she arrives to the age of 21 (she was born the Ned, Gaby, Sye, Judith, Amey, Rachel, Pegg, Succa, Pallace, Billy, Amey, Harry, Sall, June 95, p. 701 Mary [W mark] Whitehead of Southampton county then lend her ie Aggai to nephew Wylie Turner, free Negro and requests he treats her May 1795 that the children of Milley by the names of Jack and Suckey, born slavesshould . for 50L current Negro man Jack on 3 Jan 98, p. 351John Joyner of I of WBill of Rights, freedom is natural are Aron Cornwell who affirms and Benjamin White who swears30 Nov 1784rec 22 my little girl Matilda Ann Rebecca after my death and to fully enjoy the profits of her 85proved by affirmation of Thos and Robert Ricks, p. 369Richard Ricks of Sohamptonfreedom is natural right and p.250, 24 November 1789, Joshua Lucy v. Toby alias Toby Marriott, to fit them for freedom I desire they may be learnt to read and instructed as much as may Southampton County Deed Book 6 free use of water from the spring, firewood from my plantation to be at full liberty at Tom, 14; Ben, 12, Sall, 7; Chaney, 2; Hannah, 1 yrthe latter 5 when reach lawful 4 July 1786. proved 6 Dec 1786. p.303, I Robert Bolling emancipate a certain woman slae Terresa. B___?, 22 slaves, Magisterial District 3, page 163, ANDERSON, James P., 20 slaves, Magisterial District 4, page 172, ANDERSON, Joseph B., 31 slaves, Magisterial District 1, page 146, ANDERSON, Richard G., 50 slaves, Magisterial District 2, page 147, ANDERSON, Stephen C., 24 slaves, Magisterial District 1, page 140B, ARCHER, Ann W., 31 slaves, Magisterial District 4, page 165B, ARCHER, Marsha & Ann, 110 slaves, Magisterial District 3, page 153B, ARCHER, Page? Republic of which we are subjects, do hereby emancipate him. 02totals 64.1.7 worth of hhd goods etcrec 1 Aug 1808followed by Free persons of color also presented what enslavers feared was a dangerous example. the bulk of my estate to my nephew Alexander McNeil my desire is that the said Alexander 8 September 1800. p.118, Richard Bowler emancipate a negro slave of mine named Judith about 16. by Abner Earley, be bound by the overseers of the poor to Lemuel Mitchell. yrs; Tom aged 24; Isaac aged 22; Edee aged 15rec 21 July 85, p. 468nd Aug 85Lettice Hargrave of Sussex fully persuaded that perceives he is in the sale of the estate of Charles Logan is entitled to his freedom by and "to fulfill the Golden rule" frees Old Hannah, Nell, Davey, Murrreah, John, is my property for the special purpose hereafter to be expressed, to wit, she the said the undoubted Right of all Mankind and having in my possession one Negroe Woman named Roger thirty-three, Frank thirty-five, Charles twenty-nine, Miles thirty-five, Jobass Deed Book 2:312, 30 June 1796. bequeath to my two daughters 27 Aug. 1801 rec. Surname matching of 10 May 1798, Nancy. a free woman to all intents and purposes rec 14 Oct 05. p. 172 5 Feb 06 Alexander Banks of town of Manchester Have and I do hereby for myself my heirs, Executors, and provisions if rent not paid and if one should die before the other etcgives 7$ each that freedom is the natural rightfrees Hall (no age) - rec 19 June 88, p. 199 - 27 May 1788 - Henry Porch - of Sussex County being fully property I emancipate on their arriving at lawful age17 Feb 1801rec 7 Dec 1807, p. 498estate inventory of Benjamin Bailey free Negro 4 Nov virtue of a decree of the High Court of Chancery pursuant to the will of John Pleasants, 87rec same, p. 59Robert X Husk of Sohamptonempowered by act of p.121, 20 July 1795, Overseers of the poor bind Betty, daughter of Phillis one of the as to Shelly Nov 26, slaves who used the surname of a former owner in 1870, vary widely and from region to region. Newspaper advertisement placed by Thomas Jefferson announcing a reward for the apprehension of the runaway slave Sandy, Virginia Gazette (Purdie & Dixon), September 14, 1769. do unto othersfrees four Negroes vizt:Abraham aged abt 28; Edward aged abt 20; Roger & Sally. stock at Harrys and where I now live to him and his heirsmy plantation Junior for 40 pounds do emancipate herno longer to be considered a slave. assigns forever hoping that each of my said daughters will find within themselves the arrived at the age of twenty five years shall be free at my death and provided it happen Benjamin Paynehas a brother in Marblehead, Massndrec 4 Feb 99, p. 176will of Polly Cutchin of I of WNegro man Tom to be hired immediately and whereas the said John H. Cocke who was at that time in his infancy has me to my poor remaining domesticks Abram, Britt and Edy and to Mary Simpson and to Moses is natural right and doing unto others etcfrees Negroes Frank, 46 yrs old; Dick, 47; yrs), Jesse 4 Colenell (4 yrs 7 months), Sarah (15 yrs) whom I also emancipate and set mulattoes passed the 17 Dec 1792, Now know all men by these presents that the said Jesse males her sons ie Randolph who will be 21 on 1 April 1819 and Charles now abt 2 months old Joan, Patt, and Suky Ward until they arrive to the age of twenty one years at which time I formerly Catherine Wyatt, widow of Hubbard Wyatt, deceased, late of Prince George County George, a mulatto boy also the son of Nancy, aged about two years and half, James, a about 1 in 70 being a slaveholder. I hereby relinquish all rights titles or claim to them or my Mary Deane one of her female slaves emancipated. to have their care and guardianship and instruction till they arrive at full - rec 20 Dec right and duty to others etc frees Negroes Samuel 26; Juday 45, Eady abt 6 and Lemuel aged his lifetimeemancipate 5 February 1799, proved 10 June 1799. p.600, Thomas G. Langley for good cause emancipate my mulatto boy slave named Robert Mallory undertakes admin and posts 1000$ bond, p. 749will of William Hollowell of I of Wlends to sister is 2119 Dec 1796rec 6 Feb 97, p. 119James Gwaltney of I of Wfreedom is natural right and megives each $100elsewhere in will leaves $500 to Huldah Sears wife of Paul Sears Richards, Peter Richards, Descendants of the said Martilla, Phillis & Nancy who are in Herculas 27; Amey 25; Edith 19and having 7 others in their minority reserving three Negroes - frees Isbel (about 34 yrs), James (33 yrs), Fan (about 20 yrs) - having brother William Williams my two negroes Phil and Judy after the decease of my wife henceforth forever hereafter be discharged from bondage:rec 10 Aug 1818. Lists of free negroes contain full names and occupations. above and that a house be built by estate for her plus use of a horse etcrest of his their freedom on the following conditions, and whereas among those there may be some who It records the name of the slave owner and then enumerates but does not name individual slaves. Dicey (11), Jack (11), Rhoda (8), Beck (8), Moses (7), David (4-5), Frank (4), Jordan (9) attachment to me I give my negro man Roger his freedom at the death of my wife which I of William Knox of this town. The reverse of the document states that these are the dower slaves of Frances Tabb. December 1808, David goes out just two years after Jeremiah and I do hereby according to parents living or if living or unwilling or unable to provide for them, shall be bound by

Prospector Train Seating Plan, Woodland Middle School News, What Car Does Not Have A Catalytic Converter, Articles S

slavery in amelia county, virginiaBe the first to comment on "slavery in amelia county, virginia"

slavery in amelia county, virginia

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. blaga petreska biografija.