Gov’t welcomes latest census findings as “crucial for future planning and development”

The Dr. Terrance Drew-led Cabinet of Ministers has welcomed the findings of the national census conducted in 2022.

On 3rd June, 2024 in a meeting with Director of Statistics, Carlton Phipps and Social Statistician in the department, Corneil Williams Cabinet was informed that the extensive 2022 enumeration exercise concluded that the population stands at 51,320 as of 2022. This represents an 8.7 percent increase over the 2011 population of 47,195 people.

“This reflects an increase of 4,125 persons over the 11-year period, averaging an annual increase of 0.76 percent during the intercensal period. The island of St. Kitts is home to 38,138 persons, accounting for 74 percent of the federal population, while Nevis, with 13,182 persons, comprises the remaining 26 percent,” said a statement from the Cabinet following the meeting on Monday.

The Cabinet expressed satisfaction with the steady population growth noting that the census’ findings will form “a crucial basis for future planning and development initiatives.” 

The full findings of the census will be made public by the Department of Statistics in a matter of weeks. 

According to the Cabinet, “The next steps involve deeper analysis and detailed reporting to provide further insights into the population’s living conditions and demographic profiles.”

Click this link to join the SKN Source WhatsApp group for the latest news and updates right on your mobile device!  

Be the first to comment on "Gov’t welcomes latest census findings as “crucial for future planning and development”"

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.